Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Take my center-fielder, please.

I guess Hunter had dinner over at Rangers' owner Bill Hicks' house yesterday - it looks as though Texas is going to win the Hunter sweepstakes. Yep, they will be the ones that get to give a 32 year old whose lost a step $75 million for five years.

That's right, five years, which means that Hunter, whose knees are already going south on him, will be getting $15 million when he is 37-38 years old. If he is able to walk, much less run, at that point in his career, then I will eat my hat.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hunter, he is the face of the franchise, and watching him patrol center field like a jungle cat for the last 7+ years has been of the true joys of following this team. But his best years are now behind him. And it is in the best interest of the club to let him go somewhere else if he wants a five year deal.

It is, of course, in his best interest, as well.

No comments: